Training and support
Library and database workshop opportunities. Some are already offered in the English language, while others are available in English upon request.
You are here:
PubMed and Catalog training (de)
We show you:
- how to search most effectively in the premier medical bibliographic database MEDLINE, through the search interface PubMed.
- how to find print and electronic books, journals, and journal articles in the Library Portal Primo.
- which other subject specific databases there are (for instance LIVIVO, Web of Science, CINAHL, Cochrane, Embase), and what their strengths are.
- how to reach the full text from your search results.
- how to save search results and export them into reference management tools.
In English upon request. In German, twice a month. See the latest dates in our events calendar.
Workshop: How to Publish Open Access Journal Articles (de, en)
The Medical Library is offering workshops on Open Access in the English language or in German. Current dates are to be found in the calendar of events.
Aimed at: The workshop is suitable for both scientists and students at the Charité.
Contents: Besides the fundamentals of Open Access, this workshop also offers hands on exercises at PCs. Participants will get to know important phrases, data sources and tools that help when choosing a journal for publication.
The workshop covers:
- Different options when publishing Open Access: the green and gold routes
- Expectations from publishers and funders, including:
- Versions: Pre-print, Post-print, Publisher pdf
- Creative Commons Licenses
- Article Processing Charges or fees from the publisher and how to negotiate over these
- Funding through the Charité OA Publication fund
- Selection of a suitable OA repository for archiving.
Jenny Delasalle worked for fifteen years in research support roles at various British libraries. At her last employer, the University of Warwick, she was the founding manager of the institutional repository and established one of England’s first Open Access publication funds. More recently, she freelanced for universities, publishers and software providers and she joined the Open Access Team of the Medical Library in January 2018.
Steffi Grimm is subject librarian for Open Access and electronic publishing and leads the Open Access Team at the Charité Medical Library. Before this she worked in the Open Access Team at TU Berlin with responsibility for Gold Open Access and publication fund issues. She holds an MA in Library and information science from Humboldt University of Berlin.
Workshop: Open Data (de, en)
Aimed at: The workshop is suitable for both scientists and students at the Charité and the BIH.
Contents: This three-hour workshop provides an overview of the free availability of data (open data) and includes practical exercises on the PC. The workshop will answer the following questions:
- What is open data and why is it important to share data?
- How do I choose a suitable repository for archiving?
- How do I ensure that my data is easy to find and accessible?
- How do I ensure that my data are also re-usable in the long term?
- How can I consider privacy aspects?
- How do I search for useful data sets and how do I quote them?
Speaker: Dr. Evgeny Bobrov is a consultant for open data and research data management at the QUEST Center of the Berlin Institute of Health. He advises on the provision of biomedical data and is an advocate for open data. Previously, he was a brain researcher and then a laboratory manager at the Charité, and so has first-hand knowledge of research practice, including about the obstacles that sometimes hinder data sharing.