Use the library
Find out about loans, user accounts, workspaces, training and support, and other arrangements at the Medical Library
You are here:
Registration and user account
Who may borrow?
- As well as students and employees of the Charité, anyone over the age of 16 (a minor with written consent from a parent or guardian) who has proof of residence in Berlin / Brandenburg can borrow. At registration you will need your ID card or passport plus proof of residence. For students at the Charité, FU and HU, the student ID card also serves as your library user card. The library user card or student ID card enables borrowing at all site libraries of the Medical Library as well as in the University library of the FU.
- At registration, a user account will be established for you with an account number and password - Charité students have a library account available at enrollment.
- At the Charité's online catalog can see your account with loaned items and any applicable fees. You can renew loans, reserve items, edit the password for your account, and more.
- A change of address must be self-reported in the Charité-Portal der Studierenden- und Prüfungsverwaltung (Charité portal for student and examinations administration). Please note that you login there with your Charité login details.
- Library system notifications about returns, reminders, etc. are sent up to the second time by email. The third reminder will be sent as a letter by post. Notification of reserved items are only sent by email.
You can find your user number on your ID card under the barcode (1380E…), for Charité students the whole number on the student ID card applies, beginning with HUCH…
The initial password to access an online account for ID cards issued since 2017 consists of:
- Date of birth (six characters) + first letter of Surname (Capital letter) + exclamation mark.
For example for Peter Mustermann, born 28.11.1975: 281175M!
For ID cards issued before 2017 the standard password construction is your postcode/zipcode (Postleitzahl) and the first letter of your street’s name at the time of your registration/enrollment.
- Example for Peter Mustermann, Wiesenstr. 22 12345 Berlin: 12345W
In the account section of primo you can change your password yourself.
Please get in touch at one of our library sites if you have problems accessing your account.
Loans, renewals, reservations
A valid library user card is a requirement for borrowing books and other media. The loan period is 4 weeks. Users with disabilities can request that the loan period is altered to 6 weeks.
As long as loaned materials are not already reserved by other users, the loan period can be renewed a number of times. After six months the item must be brought into the library before it can be renewed. The maximum number of items on loan is limited to 100.
You can carry out the loan period renewal yourself, in your user account area.
There is also the possibility to renew the item by phone, by email or by letter, through library staff assistance.
Registered readers can reserve items already out on loan through the online catalog, and can order items from the closed stack.
Registered Charité employees have the additional possibility of ordering items that are not already out on loan, to have them delivered to the site library at the campus where they work. Please provide the pick-up location of your choice when ordering.
You will receive a notification by email when the reserved item is ready for you to pick up.
Please note the library user regulations and regulations for fees.
Single and group workspaces
- In the Medical Library, as well as single workspaces there are also group workspaces at the site libraries at CCM, CVK and ZMK, some of which can be reserved in advance at the issue desk.
PC-workstations in the Medical Library
- Registered users have access to PC workstations, with networked copying machines.
Internet access to online resources of the Medical Library is available. You have the option to pay for printing out search results on the networked copying machines, or else it is free to either send results as an email attachment or save them on a USB memory device. Please note that reading, printing, downloading and all forms of access are covered by terms and conditions and copyright law.
PC-workstations in Campusnetwork
- At your workplace, members of the Charité have access to all electronic resources of the medical Library (e-journals, e-books, databases) through the campus network, usually without a special login or password.
Printing, Copying, Scanning
- All Medical Library sites are equipped with copying machines, which require coins or copy cards to operate them. The machines also serve as printing machines for printing out search results from the user PCs.
- A copy card for 100 copies can be purchased for €4 at one of the vending machines at each of the Medical Library sites. These copy cards are valid across all Medical Library sites.
- Charité employees can use the copy machines free of charge. Please take your Personnel ID card to the issue desk as a security deposit against a copy card..
- At the copying machines you can also scan items for free, and send the scans out by email.
Use of the lockers
- The library provides coin operated lockers, which you can use to securely stow items which are not allowed in the library (paragraph 10 of the „Benutzungsordung“ or User regulations). You will need either a €1 or €2 coin, which will be returned to you after use. Change machines are available.
Working from home
- For Charité employees who work at home, our IT center provide a VPN (Virtual Private Network) access to the Charité network, upon request.
Download the application form (PDF):
VPN Application Employee/Student